Letter from the Chair
James R Barrett
Professor of History
Professor of African American Studies
Areas of Specialization
20th century US; social & labor history, the radical tradition in the US, race and ethnicity
PhD, Pitt, 1981
- Barrett, James R. The Irish Way: Becoming American in the Multi-Ethnic City. . New York: Penguin Press, 2012.
- Hapgood, Hutchins . The Spirit of Labor. . Ed. James R. Barrett. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2004.
- William Z. Foster and the Tragedy of American Radicalism. . Urbana: U of Illinois Press, 2000.
- Barrett, James R. "“The Heritage of Social Class and Class Conflict on Chicago’s South Side” ." On Location: Historic Cities and Sites. . Ed. R. F. Ruggles. Geneva: Springer, 2011.
- Barrett, James R. ""The Blessed Virgin Made Me a Socialist Historian: An Experiment in Autobiography and the Historiography of Race and Class"." Faith in History. . Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2007.
- Barrett, James R. ""Was the Personal Political? Reading the Autobiography of American Communism"." International Review of Social History (2009):
- ""Rethinking the Popular Front"." Rethinking Marxism (2009):