Letter from the Chair
Professor of History
HISTORY; LEMANN INSTITUTE, Director; Affiliated Faculty of Latin American and Caribbean Studies
Address: 429 Gregory Hall
Department of History MC/466
810 S. Wright St.
Urbana, IL 61801
- Telephone: (217) 300-0390
- Email: email@example.com
- CV: Download my C.V.
Office HoursThursdays, 1-3pm and by appointment
Areas of Specialization
Jorge Paulo Lemann Professor, History of Latin America, Brazil, African Diaspora, race and ethnicity
Ph.D. Brown University, 1998, B.A. Dartmouth College, 1991
Jerry Dávila is Jorge Paulo Lemann professor of Brazilian History at the University of Illinois. Currently he is Director of the University of Illinois Lemann Institute for Brazilian Studies.
Dávila received his his Ph.D. from Brown University in 1998. His research is focused on in the influence of racial thought in public policy, as well as the state and social movements in the twentieth century.
He has authored several books including Hotel Trópico: Brazil and the Challenge of African Decolonization (Duke, 2010), winner of the Latin Studies Association Brazil Section Book Prize; and of Diploma of Whiteness: Race and Social Policy in Brazil, 1917-1945 (Duke, 2003).
In 2000, Dávila taught as a Fulbright Lecturer at the University of São paulo, and in 2005, he held the Fulbright Distinguished chair at the Catholic University in Rio de Janeiro. He has also received the national endowment for the Humanities Fellowship and the Fulbright-Hays Research Fellowship.
From 2013 through 2017, he serves as Vice- President/President-Elect of the conference on Latin American History, the affiliate of the American Historical Association dedicated to the study of Latin America.
He has also written for publications including the New York Times and the Cairo Review about the experiences of military rule and redemocratization in Brazil, Argentina and Chile, the subject of his most recent book, Dictatorship in South America (Wiley, 2013).
- History 507 - Twentieth Century Revolutions in Latin America
- Dávila, Jerry. Dictatorship in South America. . Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- Dávila, Jerry. Hotel Trópico: Brasil e o desafio da descolonização africana, 1950-1980. . Paz e Terra, 2011.
- Davila, Jerry. Hotel Trópico: Brazil and the Challenge of African Decolonization, 1950-1980. . Duke, 2010.
- Dávila, Jerry. Diploma de Brancura: Política social e racial no Brasil - 1917-1945. . UNESP, 2006.
- Dávila, Jerry. Diploma of Whiteness: Race and Social Policy in Brazil, 1917-1945. . Duke, 2003.
- "Foreword." Foreword. Brazil: A Century of Change. . Trans. Robert N. Anderson. Ed. Ignacy Sachs, Jorge Wilheim, and Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro. North Carolina, 2009.