Letter from the Chair
Professor of History
Associate Professor of EUI
Professor of Gender and Women's Studies
Areas of Specialization
United States in world context, cultures of U.S. imperialism, globalization
- Prairie Routes: Making a Global Heartland. . Book in Progress: Penguin Press, 9999.
- Consumers’ Imperium:The Global Production of American Domesticity, 1865-1920. . University of North Carolina Press, 2007.
- Fighting for American Manhood: How Gender Politics Provoked the Spanish-American and Philippine-American Wars. . New Haven: Yale University Press, 1998.
- ""Buying into Empire"." Transitions and Transformations in the U.S. Imperial State. . Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2009. 248-59.
- ""Harvard Men: From Dudes to Rough Riders"." Yards and Gates. . New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2004. 117-28.
- "The World of Fashion: Imagined Communities of Dress." After the Imperial Turn: Critical Approaches to "National" Histories and Literatures. . Duke University Press, 2003.
- ""What's Gender Got to Do with It? Gender History as Foreign Relations History"." Explaining the History of American Foreign Relations. . Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003. 304-22.
- "" 'Honor Comes First': The Imperatives of Manhood in the Congressional Debate over War"." Whose America? The War of 1898 and the Battle to Define the Nation. . Westport: Praeger, 2001. 123-46.
- "Meat in the Middle: Converging Borderlands in the U.S. Midwest, 1865-1900." Journal of American History 98.4 (2012): 1025-51.
- "Hop off the Bandwagon: It's a Mass Movement, Not a Parade." Journal of American History 95.March (2009): 1087-91.
- "Stuff It: Domestic Consumption and the Americanization of the World Paradigm." Diplomatic History 30.Sept. (2006): 571-94.
- "Food and Entertainment from Every Corner of the Globe:Bourgeois U.S. Households as Points of Encounter, 1870-1920." Amerikastudien/American Studies 48.1 (2003): 115-135.
- "Cosmopolitan Domesticity:Importing the American Dream,1865-1920." American Historical Review 107 (2002): 55-83.
- "'As Badly off as the Filipinos': U.S. Woman Suffragists and Turn-of-the-Century U.S. Imperialism." Journal of Women's History 13.summer (2001): 9-33.
- "Garrisonian Abolitionists and the Rhetoric of Gender, 1850-1860." American Quarterly 45.Dec. (1993): 558-95.
- "Teaching with Images." Passport. 1 Jan. 2009: 40-41.
- "What's Gender Got to Do with It? Women and Foreign Relations History." Organization of American Historians Magazine of History. 1 Jan. 2005: 14-18.